So I will get to our vacation posts pretty soon, I promise! But a little side note about my day. I am pretty sure that I will be up for the mom of the year award today...
(a little history) While we were on vacation Will ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (which he has had many times without problems) after he proceeded to smear the sandwich all over his face he broke out in hives and his eyes swelled shut (how is that for a mental picture)? We ran to the drug store and bought benadryl, gave him a dose, and then sat out in the parking lot of an ER for about an hour before we were sure that he was okay.
Fast forward today... Today I called the doctor explaining to him what had happened and he suggested we come in to have Will's blood drawn so the could test for nut and berry allergies. When we arrived at the doctor he checked Will out and chatted with us for a while then he said to get Will dressed and head to the lab for his blood draw. While I was dressing Will, Elle started to crawl out the door and instead of asking the girls to grab her like I usually do, I turned around and grabbed her. Lo and behold the power of gravity took hold and Will went head first off the exam table (brilliant). Of course the doctor and nurses come running in and I feel like crawling into the garbage can. After calming him down we head down to the lab where we have a very confident phlebotomist that is going to draw Will's blood. Up front I told him that we have been out and about most of the day and he has not had nearly the fluids he should have had so finding a vein may be a little hard. After he searched for a while he asked "has he had enough to drink today"? Had I not already made that clear? I again told him (in a long drawn out trying to make myself feel better way, that indeed I had let him get dehydrated). So my lesson for the day...
Mom lesson #25678. Keep them hydrated for blood draws.
Mom lesson #25679. I know they will fall from a high place on to their head, just don't let it happen at the doctors office... it kind of ruins your reputation.
Celebrating 25 years
1 year ago




6 comments:
I'm pretty sure that it's a universal law that if you are g oing to have a "bad mom" moment, it has to happen in front of
a) the doctor
b) your mother-in-law
c) the judgemental mom in your playgroup
or
d) some combination of those people
the universe hates us...
Awww, you are a great mom! Accidents happen, and unfortunately will continue to happen all through their lives. Don't be so hard on yourself ;)
What happened with his blood tests? You have totally left me in suspense! I can't wait to hear the end of the story.
Oh Julie, I know how you feel. Just keep telling yourself... "it could have been worse". I was only a foot away from josh when he went head first off the bed that was 3 feet high. I admit, the doctors office is definitely worse, but at least if something had been wrong, you were where someone could help. lol so is he allergic to peanuts or what?? lol
Thanks for the great laugh...I needed it today! And the reminder that it happens to us all (Jojo fell down some stairs today head first, ugh--he's fine). Miss you!
Julie, your post cracked me up. Isn't it amazing what will happen at exactly the wrong time? I hope Will isn't facing a peanut allergy, that's no fun.
Post a Comment